php|architect is continuing it's PHP training through php|symphony (a series of free online webcasts). The next one has just been announced for October 20, 2005 with Jason Sweat, based on his book
php|architect's Guide to PHP Design Patterns
. It's free, so be sure to sign up today as space is limited. To sign up or read more about the web seminar, go to http://www.phparch.com/shop_product.php?itemid=102
You can now view the full schedule for Zend's conference Oct 18 - 21 in San Francisco by going to http://zend.kbconferences.com/speakerschedule.php
. As you can see it proves to be educational for developers and administators alike by offering 4 different tracks: 1) The Business Case for PHP, 2) Integrating PHP with Enterprise, 3) Developing, Deploying and Managing Large Scale PHP Applications, and 3) PHP Resources: Tools, Libraries and Techniques. If you haven't made your plans to attend, you still have time to take advantage of the early registration discount of $200 if you register before October 17. Besides, you don't want to miss the free beer and pizza at the Oracle PHPFest, or the free cake at the PHP 10th Anniversary Party, now do you? To register or learn all about what's in store, go to http://zend.kbconferences.com
Secunia reports numerous exploits in Moveable Type, as well as a remote avatar exploit in phpBB. For the Moveable Type alert, you can upgrade, but you will also need to take care in who is allowed to upload files. For phpBB, there is no patch yet, but you can block this exploit by disabling remote avatars in your setup. To see a list of all PHP-based software that had exploits reported by Secunia this past week, go to: http://secunia.com/search/date/?search=PHP
Zend announced the release of Zend Platform 2 this past week-- per their press release, "New features include:
- State-of-the-art session clustering, which dramatically improves Web application performance, uptime and response time
- Enhanced PHP Intelligence modules, an unmatched back-in-time feature to easily reproduce problems all the way to their source
- PHP configuration cloning across servers
- Faster, streamlined execution of PHP applications "
You can download your own free evaluation copy before you buy, or read all about the new features in great detail by going to http://www.zend.com/store/products/zend-platform/.
Apachefriends announced its latest release for Linux (formerly called LAMPP, now called XAMPP for Linux). Windows version should be coming out the first of October, per their site. To download your copy, go to http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html
In a post on his blog, Wez Furlong gives some general but very helpful tips on benchmarking, as well as benchmarking with PDO. A very interesting read and worth your 5 minutes - so go check it out at http://netevil.org/node.php?nid=551
I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't include what's new at PEAR and PECL. Recent PEAR releases include:
- XML_RPC 1.4.3 - PHP implementation of the XML-RPC protocol
- XML_Serializer 0.17.0 - Swiss-army knive for reading and writing XML files.
- XML_Parser 1.2.7 - XML parsing class based on PHP's bundled expat
- Validate_US 0.5.1 - Validation class for US
- Services_Technorati 0.6.5beta - A class for interacting with the Technorati API
- CodeGen 1.0.0rc1 - Tool to create Code generaters that operate on XML descriptions
- CodeGen_PECL 1.0.0rc1 - Tool to generate PECL extensions from an XML description
- File_Ogg 0.1.3 - Access Ogg bitstreams.
- System_SharedMemory 0.1.0 - common OO-style shared memory API
And for PECL, we had:
- crack - "Good Password" Checking Utility: Keep your users' passwords reasonably safe from dictionary based attacks
- crack_dll - "Good Password" Checking Utility: Keep your users' passwords reasonably safe from dictionary based attacks
- ibm_db2 - Extension for IBM DB2 Universal Database, IBM Cloudscape, and Apache Derby
- oci8 - OCI8 functions
- runkit - Replace, rename, and remove user defined functions and classes.
- Define customized superglobal variables for general purpose use.
- Xdebug - Provides functions for function traces and profiling
- zeroconf - A PHP interface for browsing network services using ZeroConf
As always, you can download or learn more about these packages at http://pear.php.net/ and http://pecl.php.net/.