This book takes you through the process of designing and building content-rich web sites and applications using eZ publish. Famed for its power and flexibility, eZ publish can be daunting on first approach. Moreover, it has advanced features that reward the investment in learning. This book exists to ease experienced PHP developers into thinking and developing the eZ publish way. With hard-won experience of the practical difficulties faced by developers working with eZ publish, and technical approval from eZ systems (creators of eZ publish) this book is a distillation of the authors expertise, and the perfect way to master the system.
In Detail eZ publish is a PHP-based, Open Source Content Management System and development framework. With 943,156 downloads of the system to date (May 1, 2004), and now at version 3, eZ publish has evolved from a standard CMS to a framework for developing your own robust, PHP applications. With a community of devoted developers behind it, eZ publish has grown in popularity, with a tested and proven core architecture. Historically, eZ publish has had a notoriously steep learning curve. This book sets out to change that, and to make the unrivalled power and flexibility of eZ publish accessible to all developers. For the first time, the top contributors to the eZ publish community take you inside eZ publish, lifting the lid on this mysterious and powerful product to have you developing content-driven Web applications in no time. With hard-won experience of the practical difficulties faced by developers working with eZ publish, and technical approval from eZ systems, creators of eZ publish, this book is a distillation of the authors expertise, and the perfect way to master the system. If you are new to eZ publish, or have been frustrated or perplexed at being unable to get the most from eZ publish, then this is the book for you. A working knowledge of PHP is required to get the most from eZ publish, and from this book.
What you will learn from this book With this book you will conquer eZ publish, and learn the skills to become an accomplished eZ publish developer. At the end of this book, you will:
* Understand how eZ publish handles, versions, and publishes content to the Web
* Be confident working in the eZ publish administration area
* Know the secrets of the eZ publish templating system to design your own pages.
* Have the skills to create new eZ publish extensions See how real world eZ publish sites have been designed and implemented.
This book covers:
* Installing eZ publish
* The basic concepts of eZ publish
* The structure of an eZ publish site
* Content management with eZ publish
* Controlling your page output with eZ publish templates
* The eZ publish core libraries
* Creating eZ publish extensions
* Creating new modules and datatypes
* Working with RSS import and export
* Deploying an eZ publish site
* Case studies of real eZ publish sites
* Optimizing your eZ publish installation
Although there is good quality reference documentation on eZ publish, there are currently no books available. Therefore, this book has been written from the ground up, in a tutorial/case study style to fill this gap.
Who this book is written for?
This book is for Web developers new to eZ publish, while experienced developers of eZ publish who want to consolidate their knowledge will learn new techniques from eZ publish masters.
It has also been designed for those new to eZ publish while also being aimed at experienced developers who want to consolidate their knowledge and learn new tricks from eZ publish masters.